MA Islamic Studies
The curriculum of MA Islamic Studies is designed to hold in balance learning and morality. It creates a meeting point for the heart and the mind, with strong bias for Islamic religious and theological values. It offers you a unique opportunity to achieving eternal values, which has begun in the here-and-now of human endeavours. It emphasises the continued vision and mission of Islam in Nigeria for a better society.
The programme fills the gap for basic and advanced moral and theological education in Nigeria, forestalling the mass exodus of Nigerians for theological educations abroad, which are not even accessible and affordable to all. The programme is planned to benefit people, who are currently involved with inter-religious dialogue projects, for teachers in tertiary institutions and missionaries world-wide.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The aims of the Master of Arts in Islamic Studies are to:
- teach learners to appreciate the dynamics of religion and society,
- provide learners with adequate skills to carry out scientific research in religion & society, and Quranic Studies,
- drill learners for more advanced studies in religion and society or in any field of Islamic studies.
- equip learners for teaching careers at tertiary education level in Nigeria and around the world.
- train religious leaders to critically analyse the influence of religion on public life and vice versa.
- groom learners for service in religious bodies at local, national, and international levels.
- school learners to engage in inter-religious and intra-community dialogues in such a way that peace and harmony is attained in Nigeria and Africa.
- prepare learners for sound exegetical and hermeneutical work.
The main objectives of the programme are that on completion of the studies, the learner should be able to:
- discuss the issues pertaining to religion and society.
- contribute to the continuous search for religious tolerance and inter-religious dialogue in Nigeria and Africa
- acquire enhanced perspectives on the politics of religion and its impact on the Nigerian economic, social, and political life.
- explain the interplay of social issues and religion in fostering change in the 21st Century Nigerian Islam and Society.
- attain adequate preparation to pursue a teaching and research career in the field of Islamic Religion and State.
N.B: For more details on the programmes, consult School of Postgraduate Studies: email@example.com
TEACHING STAFF AND SELF-INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS
The Programme is headed by the Head of the Department of Religious Studies. The members of the staff jointly develop and approve the Self-Learning / Instructional Materials and facilitate the same through online media in order to reach every learner, wherever s/he may be. The instructional materials are equally available at the various study centres spread across the country and beyond. The facilitators themselves assist the learners and ensure that they grasp the ideas and issues raised in the instructional materials.
The programme is handled by renowned scholars, professors and academicians who have distinguished themselves in various areas related to the courses they handle. You cannot afford to miss any of them.
Applicants with the following qualifications are eligible for admission to the Master of Arts programme in Islamic Studies.
- BA or BA (ED) degree in Islamic Studies, Arabic Language, Literature or Translation or in any other related area of studies, with a minimum of second class (honours) from any University recognised by the Senate of the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
- In addition, holders of the first degree in other disciplines but with postgraduate diploma in Islamic Studies or Arabic Language and/or Literature will also be considered for admission.
Areas of Specialisation
- Islamic Law
- Islamic Philosophy
- Islamic Law
- Islamic Scriptures
- Islamic History
- Islamic Social and Economic System
- Islamic Ethics
To graduate with an MA degree in Islamic Studies, a learner has to obtain a minimum of 30 credit units from the core elective courses.
Process of Research (PGD Project Essay)
Research Assessment Form
PGD Project Essay Submission Guideline
MA Seminar Research Correction Form
MA Seminar Research Registration Form
MA Seminar Research Post Topic Approval Form
MA Dissertation Correction Form
MA Dissertation Research Registration Form
MA Dissertation Post Topic Approval Form
All Admission, Registration, and other related Matters:
Admissions Office: Dr Uzoma Amos Dike
Call: +234 902 929 0238
All Exams and Results Matters:
Exams Office: Dr Murtala Abdus-Salam A. Ajani
Call: +234 902 929 0238